This page is for all of you new people who are just beginning metal detecting, or considering getting into the hobby. I hope to give you enough general information on this page to get you started in the great hobby of metal detecting, but be sure to check out the rest of the site, especially the Tips page, for much more detailed information to make your treasure hunting more productive. And for those of you with some detecting experience already, I hope you find some of the information in the articles helpful, or at least interesting. Please don’t hesitate to contact me to discuss contributing articles of your own.
Recommended Articles & Resources for Beginning Metal Detecting
If you’re thinking about starting to metal detect, here are some articles written by myself and others to help you begin.
- Is Metal Detecting For Me?
- Types of Metal Detectors for the Hobbyist
- Spring Shopping For a Metal Detector
- What’s The Best Water Metal Detector?
- Metal Detecting Injuries
- Metal Detecting Ethics
- Understanding Jewelry Markings
- Metal Detecting Equipment, Part 1 – Metal Detectors
- Metal Detecting Equipment, Part 2 – Digging Tools
- Metal Detecting Equipment, Part 3 – Miscellaneous
- What’s Your Gold and Silver Worth?
- Precious Metals Value Calculators
- Metal Detecting On Land Vs Metal Detecting In Water
- Metal Detecting in Lakes, Part 1 – The Beach
- Metal Detecting in Lakes, Part 2 – Equipment
- Metal Detecting in Lakes, Part 3 – Techniques
- Places to Metal Detect
- Swing That Coil Correctly!
- Getting Ready For Winter
- Metal Detecting Old Abandoned House Sites
- US Geological Survey Maps
- Metal Detecting Fresh Water at Night
- 8″ Stealth Scoop Review Update